Fish anatomy! How many parts of the fish can you learn? Here, we provide a list of 12 external parts of a fish in English with picture. This list could be useful for your English vocabulary about animals.
The body of the fish is protected by a thin but hard coat of overlapping scales and a coating of slime.
Parts of A Fish
- Dorsal fins
- Lateral line
- Pectoral fin
- Pelvic fin
- Anal fin
- Caudal fin
- Caudal peduncle
Examples of Fish Anatomy
- When stocking a pool with fish, take care to select healthy individuals with the firm, meaty bodies, and erect dorsal fins.
- This lateral line system enables the fish to detect differences of pressure in the water.
- The overlapping slates of the roofs in the mountain village resembled fish scales.
- When the heart is afire, some sparks will fly out at the mouth.
- What the eye doesn’t see, the heart doesn’t grieve over.
- The prehensile pectoral fins actually grasp the weed as the fish moves about.
- The pectoral and pelvic fins and the dorsal along the crest of the back play no part in propulsion.
- Old World freshwater catfishes having naked skin and a long anal fin more or less merged with the eellike caudal fin.
- The fish to be cleaned hang motionless in the water, gill covers open and fins spread, waiting for attention.
Fish Anatomy Infographic
Animal Anatomy – Parts of a Fish