Invertebrates! Invertebrates come in a variety of shapes and sizes, from microscopic organisms to giant octopuses. Insects, spiders, worms, jellyfish, and coral are all types of invertebrates.
The animal kingdom can be split into two main groups: vertebrates and invertebrates.
Invertebrate animals are those that do not have a backbone. Invertebrates can be found in the land, in marine, and freshwater habitats, and live on every continent. They are Earth’s biggest source of biodiversity – there are over 1.3 million known species of invertebrates, and potentially millions more yet to be found.
How Are Invertebrates Classified?
There is some consensus that the main groups of invertebrates can be classified into the following phyla:
- Arthropods (insects, arachnids, crustaceans, and myriapods)
- Mollusks (chitons, snail, bivalves, squids, and octopuses)
- Annelids (earthworms and leeches)
- Cnidarians (hydras, jellyfishes, sea anemones, and corals)
- Echinoderms (starfish, sea urchin, sea cucumber)
- Poriferous (sponges)
- Platyhelminthes (flatworms, tapeworms)
List of Invertebrates
- Praying mantis
- Sea urchin
Invertebrates with Examples
- The mild winter has created the ideal conditions for an ant population explosion.
- You can see his bones through his warty hide, like a jellyfish, like an X-ray.
- Termite often destroys wood.
- Remove cuttlefish when cooled, slice, and serve with the sauce.
- There are vertical things that look like the tentacles of a squid or octopus.
- A bee buzzed near my ear, and I brushed it away.
- A hermit crab carrying a sea anemone around on its shell.
- The octopus has a poison gland that it uses for killing its prey.
- Coral can be yellow, blue, or green.
- At that moment, a wasp flew in through the open window.
- The tourists from Tokyo want to eat a lobster dinner at four in the afternoon.
- I picked up the beetle carefully between finger and thumb.
- Although it is tasty, crab is very filling.
- He spotted a cockroach as it scuttled out from under a bin bag.
- You can also try the beef heart, mussel, chicken, liver prawn, and the like.
- I watched the moth crawl up the outside of the lampshade.
- If you’ve got a good education, the world is your oyster.
- The butterfly is black and white with a blue stripe running down each wing.
- I’m looking for a starfish. Here! I got one.
- The silkworm spins a cocoon.
- The worm burrowed its way under the earth.
- Several butterfly species live out their caterpillar stage inside an ants’ nest.
- The snail left a trail of slime along the floor.
- The grasshopper was singing and dancing on the sunflower.
- A spider had spun a perfect web outside the window.
- Maybe I could just buy some predator bugs, such as the praying mantis, to keep watch.
Invertebrate Animals Infographic